Marketing your lawn care business might seem daunting at first, but it can actually be fairly simple. In this guide we're going to cover different ways that you can succeed in marketing, and we'll be going in depth on each thing so that you don't have trouble doing it!
1. Get a website built
Your website is going to be the hub for all of your marketing efforts. In other words, where are people going to go after they see your ad or want more information? Oftentimes people want to see your website to check out your work or find out more about your company. Having a website in place sets a foundation for success in your marketing.
Creating an Effective Website
It's one thing to just have a website put up that has a homepage and a contact page. It's another to have a website that is effective for marketing.
The last thing anybody wants is to spend a ton of money on marketing only to find that nobody is calling. That's just money thrown away!
Here's what you'll need on your website:
- Strong calls to action - Make it easy for your potential customers to reach you. Have your phone number show up so everyone can see it. Have buttons on your site that take people to a form where they can request a quote.
- Show off your work - Show your potential customers what they're buying. It's worthwhile to invest in high-quality photography so that people can really see what it is you can do for them.
- Add photos of staff - People like to see who will be coming to their homes. This isn't absolutely needed, but it will help in your marketing efforts!
- Add pages for each service - Your website should have a page dedicated to every service you offer. This is going to help you in many ways in your marketing, including your SEO.
- Add any awards/recognition - If you've ever received an award or recognition for your company, add it to where it can be clearly seen! This adds credibility to your company.
Web design isn't always going to be cheap. We currently have a promotion on our site for a proven 7 figure lawn care site that has most of these elements built in. Fortunately, you can get it at a ridiculously low price!
2. Add pixels to your site
A pixel is a line of code that you can add to your website to track visitors. You can get them from Google and Facebook to help make your marketing efforts more effective.
The way that it works is as follows:
- You add a line of code to your website.
- As people visit your website, Facebook and Google capture information about them.
- If they didn't contact you on their visit, you can now advertise to them, making them more likely to contact you.
- If they contacted you, you can tell Facebook to advertise to more people who are likely to contact you.
In other words, this is an extremely effective way to make sure that your marketing dollars aren't wasted.
If you're having trouble with this, just give us a call. We know that anything involving code can be a little technical. Our team can knock it out pretty quickly.
How do I get pixels?
Here are the steps on how to create Facebook Pixel:
- Log in to your Facebook account and go to the Facebook Ads Manager.
- In the top left corner of the Ads Manager, click on the three lines icon to open the main menu.
- Click on "Pixels" under the "Measure & Report" section.
- Click on the green "Create a Pixel" button.
- Enter a name for your pixel and click on "Create".
- You will see a pop-up with the code for your pixel. Copy the code and paste it into the header section of your website's HTML.
- Click on "Continue" to proceed to the pixel setup screen.
- Choose the events that you want to track with your pixel. You can select from a range of standard events such as page views, add to cart, and purchases. You can also create custom events based on your specific business needs.
- Click on "Install Events" to save your settings.
- Once your pixel is installed, you can start tracking conversions, creating custom audiences, and optimizing your Facebook ads based on the data collected by your pixel.
We're also going to give you a video that shows you how this is done, to try and make things easier:
The Google Pixel will be different. This pixel can be used for retargeting on websites as well as YouTube. Here are the instructions:
- Log in to Google Ads: The first step in creating a Google Ads Pixel is to log in to your Google Ads account.
- Access the Pixel creation tool: Once you're logged in, navigate to the "Tools & Settings" section of the main menu and select "Audience Manager."
- Create a new audience: In the "Audience Manager" section, click on "Audience Sources" and select "Pixels." Then, click on the blue plus sign to create a new pixel.
- Name your pixel: Give your pixel a descriptive name that will help you identify it in the future.
- Choose your pixel settings: Next, you'll need to configure your pixel settings. You'll be asked to choose between a "Conversion" or "Remarketing" pixel, and to specify the conversion or event that you want to track.
- Install your pixel code: After you've set up your pixel settings, you'll be given a pixel code that you'll need to add to your website or landing page. This code will track user activity on your site and send that data back to Google Ads.
- Test your pixel: Once you've installed your pixel code, it's important to test it to ensure that it's working correctly. You can use the Google Tag Assistant Chrome extension to check for any issues with your pixel installation.
- Monitor your pixel's performance: Once your pixel is up and running, you can use the "Pixel" section of the "Audience Manager" to monitor its performance. You'll be able to see how many conversions or events have been tracked, and how many users have been added to your remarketing lists.
That said, we're also including a video on how this is done!
Once again, we'll mention that this stuff can be a little technical. So if you need help with it, just give us a call or fill out our online form!
3. Set Up Retargeting
The next thing you'll want to do is set up a retargeting campaign on Facebook and on Google. Again, if you want to get more out of your marketing dollars, this is one of the most effective ways to do it! This is your opportunity to spend less money to acquire new clients.
- Set up your Facebook Ads account: If you don't already have a Facebook Ads account, the first step is to create one. You can do this by visiting the Facebook Ads Manager website and following the prompts to sign up.
- Create a new campaign: Once you're logged in to your Facebook Ads account, click on the "Create" button in the top left corner of the Ads Manager dashboard and select "Campaign" from the drop-down menu.
- Choose your campaign objective: In the "Campaign" creation window, you'll be asked to choose your campaign objective. For a retargeting campaign, you'll typically want to select "Conversions" or "Catalog Sales" as your objective.
- Configure your campaign settings: In the next step, you'll need to configure your campaign settings, including your budget, bidding strategy, and targeting options.
- Create your custom audience: To create a retargeting campaign, you'll need to create a custom audience based on visitors to your website or specific actions they have taken. You can do this by selecting "Custom Audience" from the "Audiences" tab in the Facebook Ads Manager interface.
- Set up your retargeting ads: Once you've created your custom audience, you can create your retargeting ads. These ads should be targeted specifically at users who have visited your website or taken a specific action but haven't converted.
- Choose ad placement and format: In the next step, you'll choose where your ads will appear (such as in the Facebook News Feed or on Instagram) and what format they will take (such as single images, videos, or carousel ads).
- Launch your campaign: Once your ads are created and your targeting options are set, you can launch your retargeting campaign.
- Monitor and optimize your campaign: Once your campaign is up and running, it's important to monitor its performance and make adjustments as needed. You can use the reporting and analytics tools in Facebook Ads Manager to track your campaign's performance and make data-driven decisions about how to optimize your ads and targeting.
Google Ads Retargeting
1. Set up your Google Ads account: If you don't already have a Google Ads account, the first step is to create one. You can do this by visiting the Google Ads website and following the prompts to sign up.
2. Create a new campaign: Once you're logged in to your Google Ads account, click on the "Campaigns" tab and then click on the blue plus sign to create a new campaign.
3. Choose your campaign type: In the "New Campaign" dialog box, select "Display" as your campaign type.
4. Set your campaign goals: Next, you'll need to set your campaign goals. For a retargeting campaign, you'll typically want to select "Website Traffic" as your goal.
5. Configure your campaign settings: In the next step, you'll need to configure your campaign settings, including your budget, bidding strategy, and targeting options.
6. Create your ad groups: Once your campaign settings are configured, you'll need to create your ad groups. Ad groups are where you'll create your ads and specify your targeting options.
7. Create your retargeting audience: To create a retargeting campaign, you'll need to create a custom audience based on visitors to your website. You can do this by selecting "Custom Audiences" from the "Audiences" tab in the Google Ads interface.
8. Set up your retargeting ads: Once you've created your custom audience, you can create your retargeting ads. These ads should be targeted specifically at users who have visited your website but haven't converted.
9. Launch your campaign: Once your ads are created and your targeting options are set, you can launch your retargeting campaign.
10. Monitor and optimize your campaign: Once your campaign is up and running, it's important to monitor its performance and make adjustments as needed. You can use the reporting and analytics tools in Google Ads to track your campaign's performance and make data-driven decisions about how to optimize your ads and targeting.
4. Claim your Google listing
We've got most of our foundation set up for your marketing campaign. This will be the last phase of setting yourself up for success! Let's dive into how to get your Google Business Profile.
- Go to the Google My Business website at https://www.google.com/business/ and click on the "Manage now" button in the top right corner of the page.
- If you are not already signed in to your Google account, you will need to sign in with your Google account credentials.
- Once you are signed in, you will be prompted to enter your business name. Enter the name of your business and click "Next".
- If your business is already listed on Google, you will see it appear in the search results. Click on the listing that matches your business, and follow the prompts to claim it. If your business is not listed, click on the "Add your business to Google" button.
- You will be asked to provide your business's address. If you have a physical storefront or office location, enter your address. If you do not have a physical location or do not want to share your address, you can choose to list your service area instead.
- Next, you will be prompted to select your business category. This helps Google better understand what your business does and helps potential customers find you. Choose the category that best fits your business.
- You will then be asked to provide a phone number and website for your business. If you don't have a website, you can create a free one using Google Sites.
- After entering your phone number and website, you will be asked to verify your business. Google will send a verification code to your business address, which you will need to enter into your Google My Business account.
- Once your business is verified, you can start customizing your Google Business Profile. You can add photos, hours of operation, and other information that will help customers find and connect with your business.
Once again, if this sounds like something you don't have the time for, or is a little too complicated, be sure to give us a call or fill out our form. We can help with this step.
5. Invest in digital ads
By now you might have noticed that this guide is largely focused on Facebook and Google. These two platforms are where you're likely to receive the most leads at the lowest cost!
That said, you've already created a Facebook Ads account, as well as a Google Ads account. Now it's simply a matter of starting your advertising.
If you want more information on effective Facebook and Google Ad campaigns, be sure to check our blog for updates on things you can do to advertise your business.
We'd love to provide you with a step-by-step tutorial here, but the information is going to take several thousands of words, so we've decided we'll create separate posts for ad campaigns.
However, now that you've got your website built properly, your Google Business Profile, and your advertising accounts set up nicely, it should be easy for you to successfully create an ad campaign!
Types of Digital Ads to Use
There are a ton of different ways you can advertise your lawn care business. That said, we're going to make a list of some of the most effective ways that we've seen with advertising.
- Google Search Ads - These are the ads that appear when someone is doing a search on Google. Google will give you several different options for the types of ads you want to run. In our experience, these ads perform much better than others!
- YouTube Ads (retargeting) - We recommend that you create videos for your retargeting campaign on YouTube.
- Banner Ads (retargeting) - Again, this is a great way to retarget potential customers!
- Facebook Ads - Ads for landscapers on Facebook can be effective because you can provide visually appealing photos and videos of your work.
- Facebook Ads (retargeting) - Again, this is an opportunity to turn your non-customers into leads.
- Instagram Ads - You can run Instagram ads through your Facebook Ads Manager.
- Google Guarantee - This is also known as "Google Local Service Ads". This is actually a lead generation service that works very well for lawn care professionals.
6. Build up your online presence
Having an online presence means that you're all over the internet. It means that people can easily find you everywhere they go!
This is a crucial step in SEO. As mentioned in other posts and pages of this site, SEO is one of the best ways to make an ROI. In fact, the average SEO campaign provides a 2,200% ROI (sometimes even more).
That said, let's dive into how you can create a good online presence for your company.
You'll want to make sure that you have all your social profiles set up, and that you also post to them occasionally. It's one thing to have a social media profile, and it's another to have a profile that showcases your work and provides value to your potential customer.
That said, there are hundreds of social media websites to choose from. Here are the ones that we recommend having:
Aside from those, if you'd really like to create a bigger online presence, you can also make a Pinterest account.
People use Yelp. People also use Yellow Pages online. And people also go to Angie's List.
You should make an effort to find a ton of online directories that are relevant to your business and get yourself added to them.
Tip: Finding local directories (i.e. directories of businesses in your city or state) is an awesome way to build up your online presence. We highly recommend getting your business listed on your local Chamber of Commerce website!
Have anything newsworthy? You might not think so at first, but there are plenty of ways that you can take advantage of press releases to build up your online presence.
For example, launching your new website, hitting a new milestone in business, creating a new offer, and much more.
These are all things that can go out in a press release, and they'll also make a big impact on your SEO.
This is an awesome way to get found by your local customers. Having unique information on your site can attract a lot of new visitors. As with everything else mentioned in this section, blogging can also significantly impact your SEO.
If you're not sure what to blog about, see what other companies are writing to give yourself an idea. You can also go to a place like Quora to see what people are asking about lawn care and landscaping. With that, you can answer those questions in your blog.
One of the biggest things you can do for your lawn care business is to accumulate online reviews. We can't stress it enough!
When someone is online looking for a company to do their landscaping and lawn care, they're going to look at reviews. And if they see that your company has 2 positive reviews while your competitor has 96 positive reviews, they're going to choose your competitor almost every time.
You want to stand out as the obvious choice by having more positive customer reviews than your competitors. This is a crucial step to building up your online presence.
7. Send out mailers
Believe it or not, direct mail is actually still very effective in producing leads! It's especially great if you want to target a specific area (e.g. an affluent neighborhood).
We'll cover details on how you can create an amazing direct mail campaign for your lawn care business in another post. However, here's an overview of what you can do:
- Define your target audience: Before you start creating your mailer, it's important to determine who your ideal customer is. Are you targeting homeowners or businesses? Do you want to reach people in a specific area or neighborhood? This will help you tailor your message and design to appeal to the right audience.
- Craft a compelling message: Your mailer should grab the recipient's attention and clearly communicate the benefits of your landscaping services. Highlight your unique selling points, such as your expertise, quality of work, or affordable prices. Use persuasive language and create a sense of urgency to encourage recipients to take action.
- Design an eye-catching mailer: Your mailer should be visually appealing and reflect your branding. Use high-quality images of your landscaping work, and choose colors and fonts that are easy to read and professional-looking. Consider including a coupon or special offer to incentivize potential customers to contact you.
- Print and distribute your mailer: Once you have your mailer designed, it's time to print and distribute it. You can either print them yourself or use a printing company to do it for you. Make sure to double-check for any typos or mistakes before printing. To distribute your mailers, you can use a targeted mailing list or use Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) through the United States Postal Service (USPS) to reach every household in a specific geographic area.
- Follow up with recipients: After you've sent out your mailers, follow up with recipients to see if they have any questions or are interested in your services. You can follow up with a phone call or email, or even include a response card in your mailer for them to send back to you.
8. Create a referral program
One of the easiest ways to get a customer is through word of mouth. People trust their friends, and when you've provided great work for a client it's easy to present them with an opportunity to get a discount in the future in exchange for referring someone.
You can create an offer to show them that you appreciate the fact that they're referring their neighbors and friends.
You can also ask them if they know their neighbors and if it would be alright for you to knock on their door just to let them know that you're working in the neighborhood. This sets things up easily for you to head over and tell the neighbors "We're working on Mrs. Johnson's house, and because she's been a long-time client of ours, we wanted to extend our appreciate to the neighborhood by offering ________."
If knocking on doors isn't your thing, or your salesperson isn't ready to knock on doors, you can stick with just having a referral program and asking for referrals.
9. Email marketing
This step is something you can do if you already have customers. By now, if you've already applied the earlier steps, you should be getting customers, so you can start doing email marketing to them to get upsells and referrals.
The basic concept of email marketing is to keep your clients in the loop about new offers that you've created, as well as to let them know about your referral program.
Think of it this way: If you've done a good job and these people are happy with your work, they're probably going to be okay with hearing from you again.
So get your happy customers to buy more from you and refer people!
10. Add your logo to everything
One of the best forms of advertising you can do is to have your logo on your trucks, your marking flags, and on the shirts of your crews.
It's a huge marketing mistake to show up at your clients' homes with nothing branded. What if someone else in the neighborhood wants to hire someone for lawn care? How will they reach you?
Having your logo, website, and phone number clearly displayed gives people an opportunity to reach out to you for service.
11. Bonus Method
One of the most effective methods to market your lawn care business is through networking. That might sound a little too simple, but hear us out.
What kinds of clients are you looking for? Are you wanting commercial clients? Clients who live in affluent neighborhoods? Through networking, you can get in front of your target audience and get them signed up for your services.
For example, we've seen landscapers close multiple 6 figure deals just by meeting people at the golf course.
We've also seen people close commercial deals by networking at their local Chamber of Commerce.
But if you don't like golf and you don't want to go to Chamber of Commerce meetings, you can also meet real estate developers and realtors on LinkedIn.
This is a great method to get high-quality leads (rather than high-quantity). Unlike digital ads, mailers, and SEO, you'll likely spend a lot of time getting "the perfect client" which will, in turn, result in referrals of more "perfect clients".
Getting Help With Marketing
How would you like to simply run your lawn care business while you're getting an abundance of leads? Well, that's why landscapers and lawn care professionals from across the country come to work with us.
We specialize in marketing for landscapers. We've seen these methods work, and we'd love the opportunity to help your business gain the same success that we've seen others have. Contact us today for a customized marketing plan for your lawn care business!